Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

Someone at Lolita Lempicka hates Annick Menardo. Not only do they insist on diluting her beautiful formula for the original Lolita Lempicka into endless mediocre flankers, but they kind of sabotaged her Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. Maybe such a sweet fragrance never stood much of a chance with straight men, but that purple bottle straight out of Wizard of Earthsea sure didn’t help. Poor LLAM was discontinued in the U.S. faster than you can say “no homo”. And that’s a shame, because inside that enchanted tree stump of a bottle was a gorgeous and very daring masculine fragrance.

LLAM will be instantly recognizable to anyone who’s tried the original Lolita Lempicka. It has that same anisic patchouli structure and sparkling sweetness. The most obvious difference between the two fragrances is that LLAM lacks the fruitiness of the original Lolita Lempicka. Where OLL has a massive cherry note, LLAM has… yet more herbal patchouli! To my mind, this makes LLAM a bit incomplete and one-note compared to OLL, but this could be the perfect Lolita Lempicka for people who loathe fruity notes in their perfumes.

LLAM has been out of stores for years, but it’s still pretty easy to find online. Lolita Lempicka recently announced that they will be releasing a new, ouded-up version (in a much darker bottle) sometime soon. It will be interesting to see if LLAM does any better this time around, or if the men of America will still not be ready for its jelly.

15 Responses to “Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin”

Hi Ari,
    For some reason today you didn’t come up in my email feed as Scents Of Self, just as WordPress, I thought you were a comment on my blog and nearly deleted without reading.
    PS I’m going to check this out because OLL is a bit too fruity for me, but I like the idea. Maybe this could tip the balance,
    Thank you.

Thank you for the heads-up, Portia! I’ve had to create a few other blogs for the blogging class I’m currently taking, so maybe I was accidentally signed in as one of them?? If you like OLL but wish it wasn’t so fruity, I honestly think LLAM could be perfect for you!

2. Elisa Gabbert (@egabbert)

This is probably the ugliest bottle in my collection! Love the juice though. Yummy licorice gourmand, in fact I think the licorice note in LLAM is much stronger than in the femme version.

It definitely is! I’m still so perplexed by the hideous bottle, since the rest of the Lolita Lempicka bottles are so gorgeous. What went wrong??

3. Mals86 (@musewoodenshoes)

… I thought you weren’t going to review masculines? ;)

I had thought I might like this, since Angel skeers me to death. I like the licorice-y bits and I like the greenish bits; what makes this one a no-go for me is whatever variety of amber that is that goes shaving cream (I posted a long rant on the subject of shaving-cream-amber something like two years ago, not gonna detail the issue now except to say that I find it in all kinds of things, including the very-girly-packaged Pilar & Lucy Tiptoeing Around the Moon, which is tuberose and… yeah, shaving cream). In any case, that pushes this scent firmly into territory that makes me uncomfortable. It’s not the “masculine” label that makes me feel like I’m wearing Y-fronts, it’s fougere/shaving cream aspects. That’s pretty much Not Me.

• Elisa Gabbert (@egabbert)

Mals, I wonder if it’s a combination of patchouli and coumarin that triggers the shaving cream thing? Fougeres traditionally have a base of coumarin and oakmoss, but I think LLAM trades the oakmoss out for patch. I seem to remember you also getting shaving cream from Rose Barbare, and that definitely has patch in the base….just a theory.

This post was a test! ;) I wanted to see for myself how a review of a masculine fragrance would affect commenting and page views.
      I definitely know what you mean by a shaving cream accord, and it’s a very unpleasant effect. What do you think about Elisa’s patchouli theory?

Wizard of Earthsea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Possibly my favorite fantasy series of all time. Now I want to try LLAM for that reason alone.

• susan

Yup, let’s just photoshop my face over the woman in the ad’s, and we can photoshop Ged in for the guy.

I have nothing to say about the perfume (I do not even try this brand for some stupid reason) but I want to mention that I really like the new design, especially for comments.

Thank you, Undina! How do you like it today?? I love how it looks now, but am agonizing over the fact that I can’t have a menu (the menu “travels with you” down the page, which I find endlessly annoying).

I hope you try the Lolita Lempicka line someday! I’ve liked each and every one of them (the originals, anyway, I haven’t tried most of the various flankers).

I have never tried Au Masculin and now I can’t find it easily in mainstream perfumeries. Too bad, maybe I’ll get lucky and find it somewhere to try.

By the way, I loove the new layout design of the blog.

Thank you so much, lucasai! That’s a shame, I had thought that LLAM would still be available in Europe since I still see it on the French Sephora website. I hope you get to try it someday!

7. Julie

What a coincidence! A few years ago, I found a bottle of OLL for really cheap, so I got it. I should have known I wouldn’t like it, since I detest licorice. It became the new musty-cabinet spray. I’m so impressed with you and your blog that I decided to give it another try, since you often sing it’s praises. I squirted my wrist before I walked the dogs this afternoon in the heat & humidity. It’s not that bad! It actually smelled kind of crisp and fresh. Out from under the bathroom sink and into regular rotation it goes. Thanks, Ari!