It’s My Birthday and I’ll Buy If I Want To

It’s my 21st birthday this week, y’all! Like all 21-year-olds, I will be celebrating by hitting up da club da bars the Star Trek TNG 25th Anniversary Event with my parents and little brother. Because aging is no excuse to become uncool, you guys.

I always like to mark birthdays by buying myself a new perfume, but I haven’t been able to come up with any must-haves for this year. I thought about L’Artisan Dzing!, but ultimately decided that I’d never get through that 100 ml bottle. I feel like there must be some awesome perfumes that I’m totally overlooking! So help me out, y’all: if you had to buy a bottle of perfume this week, what would it be?

62 Responses to “It’s My Birthday and I’ll Buy If I Want To”

1. Irina

Many, many happy returns, Ari and all my best wishes!
    Please, reconsider Dzing!
    Happy Birthday

Thank you so much, Irina! Now that another reader has brought some 50 ml bottles to my attention, I just might have to!

2. laniersmith

Happy Birthday! Have fun at the “Star Trek” event. If I had to…I mean if I were being forced to by a new scent…it would be Sycomore by Chanel, a woody floral musk that is a great Uni-sex scent. OR Chanel Cuir de Russie a lovely leather uni -sex. They are both from the Exclusifs line that you can only get at the Chanel Boutiques or online at the Chanel website.

3. Anna

**Happy birthday!** If I had to, (of course I really don´t want to :P haha) I would buy Cuir Beluga by Guerlain or Divine by Divine or Patchouli 24 by Le Labo … What about Ramon Monegal´s Cuirelle? RM is great.

Thank you, Anna! I just tried Patchouli 24 for the first time the other day and loved it. All of its reviews made me think that it would be pretty similar to Bulgari Black, but they really weren’t anything alike!

4. paradise

Happy birthday! If you’re still leaning towards Dzing! You can find a 50 ml bottle on Amazon from AZperfumes. That’s where I got my bottle just last month and I can confirm that they are a good seller. I was very pleased with them. (Not affiliated)

Wow, thank you so much for the information, paradise! I just can’t understand why L’Artisan is discontinuing some of their smaller sizes but keeping others. No joke, I would probably buy the whole damn line in the smaller size.

5. Elisa Gabbert (@egabbert)

Happy birthday! I already *did* buy some perfume this week (a half-full bottle of vintage Egoiste from eBay), but if it was *my* 21st and I deserved another one, I think I’d buy myself a bottle of Une Rose Chypree. Been craving that lately.

For a cheap thrill, if you don’t already have it — have you tried Sensuous Noir? Put some on last night and remembered how much I love it.

Oooh, I hope it’s in good shape! I would love to try Egoiste- the closest I’ve ever gotten is Egoiste Platinum, which I hear is not particularly close after all.

I’ve never tried Sensuous Noir, and I really need to, for the price.

6. zelda1947

Ari, Happy Birthay to you, and may all your fragrant wishes come true! If it were my birthday, I would buy a Guerlain classic, such as Vol de Nuit, Mitsouko, or perhaps Jicky or Chant d’Aromes, which are so good in the warm weather. Whatever you decide, have a most excellent birthday with Jean-Luc et al.

Thank you so much, zelda1947! If I had a good $325 in disposable income, I would LOVE to get a bottle of L’Heure Bleue parfum. Maybe next birthday…

7. Meg

BIRTHDAY!!! Oh so happy! May it be a walloping good time, Miss Ari, with as much fragrance as you can pack into twenty four sweet hours. (Or heck, make it a week-long AriFest.) I would go Guerlain all the way– special occasion ‘n’ all that!

Thank you so much, Meg! I won’t be able to afford the Guerlain of my dreams this year (L’Heure Bleue parfum, y u no cost less???), but maybe that’s for the best- I’ve always dreamed of buying that one for my wedding.

• Meg (Olenska)

Well, though I am about a thousand years late, your painted box is STILL in process– the slowest paint job since the Sistine Chapel for the love of Pete! If I get my a** in gear, you shall have virtual 2-D Guerlain to keep your sniffies in BEFORE you turn 21 1/2. Cross mah heart!

OH MAH GAAAH I MUST MAKE THIS RIGHT NOW. It even has a perfumey edge, with the anise!

I haven’t gotten to try that Diptyque yet! I only ever see Physkilos (sp??) in stores.

• rictor07

Bluemercury carries it. The closest one would be in Bethesda. I think i might go there soon to pick up one of the Diptyque candles.

Happy birthday!!!

Oh gosh… probably a Tauer, maybe Orange Star, if I had to buy perfume right this moment. Either that or Donna Karan Gold.

Actually, that’s a lie, I’m about to go buy the fiance some more 4711. One of his faves and he’s almost through his bottle. But that’s a gift, not for me. :)

How generous of you! :D If only all perfume gifts could be as reasonably priced as 4711…

9. Warum

Happy Birthday, dear Ari! Have fun at the Star Trek event and yes, we know how cool you are!
    I will spare you from seeing my jasmine’s lover floral freaky “AldeHo (c)Mals” wishlist!

10. Olfactoria

Happy Birthday, Ari! A Startrek convention is surely a stylish way to celebrate! Have fun!
    If it was my birthday I’d buy Guerlain Rose Barbare or MDCI Rose de Siwa.

Thank you so much, Birgit! Is Rose Barbare one of those three new Guerlains? I have quite a bit of trouble keeping track of their exclusive line.

11. MemoryOfScent

Happy Birthday Ari. It is my birthday too this week you know! My sister got me Myrrhe Ardante. For myself I would buy L’Etre Aime Homme. But for you, I thing OJ Frangipani would be great!

Happiest of birthdays to you too, Christos!!! What a wonderful sister you have- my little brother gave me the gift of his presence ;) I’ve never tried that OJ- someday I’m getting that discovery set, dammit!

12. hemlocksillage

Happy birthday, Ari! You deserve a new ‘fume to celebrate. Dzing! is one of my favorites. I have to admit, due to its ginormous bottle, I feel free to use it as a room spray, laundry spray and apply and reapply. That is wonderful stuff. I love making decants for buddies–at first they crinkle noses, then get into it. Whatever you choose, pick something you’ve wanted for ages, and enjoy. Live long and prosper :D

Thank you so much, hemlocksillage! I can easily imagine Dzing! making an awesome room spray. You are an awfully generous friend- my friends don’t get more than a quick spritz of my L’Artisans! ;)

13. shylotus

Happy Birthday, Ari – Make It So. ;)
    I would buy Amouage Dia or Lyric. Can’t decide which one I would break the bank for, but a girl can dream…

Thank you, shylotus! I’d have to do more than break the bank to afford an Amouage- I’d have to straight up rob one! ;) Never tried Lyric, but Dia is very beautiful.

14. Victoria

Happy Birthday, Ari! Wishing you a fun celebration. When I was passing through a park near my apt building today, I saw a girl walking a cat on a leash. The cat looked exactly like Zelda, so I immediately thought of you and your cat stroller. :)
    Anyway, I say, go for Dzing! especially since you can find a 50ml bottle.

Thank you, Victoria! And hooray for other cat ladies!! I tried to get Zelda to use a leash and harness a few months ago, but had to give up after she hid under a car for ten minutes. Apparently her lookalike is a bolder kitteh!

15. Selina

Happy birthday week Ari! I hope you have an amazing time with your family. I personally have been planning my birthday perfume for months in advance, which is a bit greedy of me, but oh well. If I were to buy a perfume this week (which I may!) it would probably be Chanel no.5 eau de Premiere. Possibly no. 19 edt or eau de Poudre which I think I’d like, but still have yet to try. Have fun shopping!

16. Mals86 (@musewoodenshoes)

HIPY PAPY BTHUTHDTH THUTHDA BTHUTHDY.

I’m not, obviously, going to bother listing MY picks when it is YOUR birthday, how silly! You don’t in the least want a bottle of Vega or Carnal Flower, do you? Or even one of Courreges Empreinte, which I’m considering buying unsniffed.

I’m trying to remember stuff you really liked testing over the past year… Hmmmm. Not remembering anything. Maybe you want a bottle of One from Smell Bent, which is sort of like Dzing! without the dirty bits, and much much cheaper. Or, you liked Jeux de Peau, right? Or a small bottle of vintage Shalimar parfum via ebay?

Lotsa love, and a wonderful year ahead to you.

Faaank youuuuu! I am so grateful for your constant support and encouragement, Mals. And thank you for the Smell Bent recommendation! I haven’t tried anything from them yet, but the prices are so reasonable that I really ought to. Now I just have to decide whether the dirty parts of Dzing! are what I like about it!

Happy birthday, Ari!

I want to join others suggesting a 50 ml bottle of Dzing! It’s too late to start thinking of anything else: if you do not have it on your “wish list” by now you won’t be happy with any last moment choice.

As for me… Don’t even ask! I’m still trying to come up with my “bottle for the promotion” – since mid May ;)

Thank you, Undina! As always, yours is the most practical suggestion! Maybe I will wait for the next 20% off parfum1 sale- I’m not seeing those 50 ml bottles for anything less than $99 online, unfortunately.

• Killerrabbit

Omg I forgot about that aspect of life in the USA. Happy birthday legally able to drink person – maybe rather than Dzing (which totally rocks) you need to rock a nice bottle of champagne instead.

18. Barbara

Happy 21st Birthday! Have a great year!
    You’re off to a good start with the Star Trek TNG Event. How did I not hear of this? My husband would have loved it.

Thank you so much, Barbara! I don’t think that they really advertised it well enough. Our theater was pretty full, but not completely packed- and no one was even in costume! :(

Happy Birthday too! I would definitely go for the 50ml Dzing!! I can’t think of a happier smell than the circus :-)

And I send you an e-high five from one Trekker to another :-)

20. Tara

Happy 21st Ari! Have a wonderful fun time at the Star Trek event with your family.

Do you already have Felanilla? Seems like the perfect scent for you.

If I could pick any perfume to buy myself this week it would Hermessence Osmanthus Yunnan. I bought a vintage bottle of Vol de Nuit edt and O.Y. is waay spendy so it will have to wait a while.

Thank you so much, Tara! It was so much fun- they showed a clip from a great documentary on how they cast the Next Generation cast. Patrick Stewart was so dashing in his audition! ;)
      Felanilla is a perfect suggestion- I love it, and it’s so cheap for a niche fume! Congratulations on your new Vol de Nuit! How different do you find it from the modern version?

21. Patty

Happy birthday, Ari! Remember, growing older is inevitable, but growing up is optional!

I’m lemming after Chanel No. 22 and Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, so if I could buy any perfume this week it would be one of those.

Perfectly put, Patty! I just recently tried PC TG for the first time. It’s so rich and beautiful! I’m still partial to my Kai, but it’s definitely a very worthy gardenia scent.

First of all – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I didn’t expect we’re almost the same age, I turned 22 in February!
    A perfume, yes a perfume.
    Actually this week I bought Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile edp, arrived today but If I could buy another bottle I’d go for Parfum d’Empire Iskander (or Azemour, Eau de Gloire from their line)

Oh, how cool, lucasai! As far as I know, you are the only other perfume blogger in my age bracket! I’ve never tried Iskander, but I love that it’s named after Alexander the Great!

23. rosiegreen62

Happy Birthday Ari. Great way to spend your birthday.I love Star Trek as well. It’s too bad no one was in costume,that is the most fun part. If I was buying a bottle this week ( and price is no object ) it would be either #19 extrait or a vintage bottle of Feminite du Bois.

24. M.J. Rose

Happy Birthday Ari – a few days late – sorry! I think you should buy Amber Oud by Kilian – have you tried it yet – crazy $$ but you can buy the refill and not the fancy bottle. Its a celebration.

What a great way to spend your 21st birthday, Ari. I heartily approve. If I could buy something today, it’d be LT Piver’s Heliotrope Blanc.