Hermes Epice Marine

visuel-prehome-epice-marine

So this post was supposed to be about the Diptyque sample sale, but then I totally slept through it. That happens a lot lately. I’m now working full-time at MiN New York, and most nights I get home stupid tired and genuinely excited to fall asleep at 9:30 PM. I just bought a book of smoothie recipes because sometimes I’m too tired to chew, which is exactly as pathetic as it sounds.

Last week I stayed awake long enough to visit the Central Park Zoo. I wanted to see the new snow leopard cubs, which are probably super adorable when they are not hiding behind large rocks. And then the red panda exhibit was closed! I think I have bad zoo karma from all of those times I unleashed tigers on unsuspecting zoo-goers in Sim City: Zoo Tycoon. The Central Park Zoo is just a few blocks away from the Hermes boutique, so I decided to stop in and try the newest Hermessence.

We all know the Epice Marine story by now: it’s a collaboration between perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena and fancypants chef Olivier Roellinger. Epice Marine is very Jean-Claude. This salty, savory fragrance is so polished that you barely notice just how unusual the notes (toasted cumin, hazelnuts, “sea notes”, whiskey) are. I’ve never tasted the star ingredient, toasted cumin, but the spices in Epice Marine have a very Middle Eastern feel to me. The salty effect is familiar from perfumes like Heeley Sel Marin and The Different Company’s Sel du Vetiver, but Epice Marine is by far the most refined variation on this theme.

With my sweet tooth, Epice Marine isn’t something I’d be likely to wear myself. But I’d be perfectly happy to smell this quietly creative perfume on Hermes lovers.

25 Responses to “Hermes Epice Marine”

Hey there Arielle,
    Go buy some cumin seeds and throw them in a medium hot pan, then so as not to waste then throw in a bunch of lentils and vegetables, chilli, garlich, ginger and water. Simmer till cooked. eat.
    You will have smelled toasted cumin seeds and have a super healthy and delicious meal that lasts a week in the fridge or three months in the freezer. When you get tired of it, add some chicken, sausage or lamb to it, serve it on rice or cous cous. MMMMMM

Thank you so much, Narcissus! After so much time between blog posts, it’s really wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the post.

Hi Ari!
    Congrats on the job at Min NY, isn’t it great that you got to meet my Polish perfumista friend by an accident.

Ever since I heard about Epice Marine I was moderately excited. I’m not a Hermes buy and Ellena’s style of watered down pastels totally putts me off (Hermessences or HerMEHssences?)

Glad you got to try it, I will probably stick with my favourable stuff ;)

• hajusuuri

“HerMEHssences” – genius! I have a gap in my collection but you know what…it will probably remain that way not because I don’t like any but more like there are too many choices and I have a hard time just picking out the 4 that I like to make a set.

It is an awfully tough choice. I know I would get Ambre Narguile and Osmanthus Yunnan, but not sure about the other two.

Thank you, Lucas! And congratulations are in order for you too- happy belated birthday!!

HerMEHssences is SO GOOD. Man, I can’t even imagine the level of skill necessary to make puns in one’s second language!

I like salty scents but not sure this would be for me.
    Congrats on the new job! I’m so happy to know I’m not the only one who can’t stay awake past 9:30. :)

Thank you so much! I’m pretty neutral on salty scents, which is strange considering the truly horrifying amount of salt I can consume.

4. hajusuuri

I met the lovely and absolutely adorable Ari when Daisy and I had our mini-sniffa 2 weeks ago! I have not tried Epice Marine but will do so the next time I visit an Hermes boutique.

5. Katherine

I also love your writing. I’m more of a light floral or gourmand type of person. I really love Rose Ikebana! It’s perfect in the summer when it gets over 90 degrees. I will try Epice Marine.

Thank you, Katherine! Rose Ikebana is so pretty. I also thought Osmanthus Yunnan was just divine.

6. Scent Bound

Very curious to try. Not sure if it is a bottle worthy for me since I have both – Sel Marin and Sel de Vetiver, both of which I love. I’m also cautious of Elena’s creations. They tend to be too subtle and somewhat linear for me.

7. mariano medici

“I just bought a book of smoothie recipes because sometimes I’m too tired to chew, which is exactly as pathetic as it sounds.” LOL!

8. fleurdelys

Had no idea you were at MinNY! I tend to be in that neighborhood more than Tribeca. Anyway, my offer to get you into the Met Museum as a guest still stands, and I can also get you into the zoo as a guest if you like. Those snow leopards will come out from behind the rocks sometime! ~ Patty

9. Paragonfantasies.com

I really cussed at the car, not myself, because I have two dogs that
    have to be at the groomer but are stuck in a car in warm
    weather. First, you don’t panic, and then you dial Maywood Locksmiths automobile locksmith service that is available for emergency lockouts twenty four hours per day.
    He must be prepared to make any needed repairs and
    to make routine service calls and tests of the systems.

They will come to you at any time of the day and they will provide you
    with a low price guarantee. Outside the home or business,
    you will also need the services of a professional locksmith company to
    properly unlock your car door in case you accidentally
    leave your automotive keys in the vehicle or you lose them
    somewhere else.

10. Hilton

India is a nation that is well known for its family values.
    Such restaurants are widely famous in US as the Indian food is very much liked in US due to the spices used are good
    for health. The non-vegetarian fare of the state is simple irresistible.
    There’s nothing that feels homier than having a new little restaurant that you love move in around the
    corner from your apartment. In vegetarian restaurants in India, you
    can expect large variety of dishes.

11. Irwin

India is a nation that is well known for its family values.
    Add ingredients before kneading and folding the dough.
    The non-vegetarian fare of the state is simple irresistible.

There’s nothing that feels homier than having
    a new little restaurant that you love move in around the corner from your
    apartment. In vegetarian restaurants in India, you can expect large variety of dishes.