The Savings Poll

donatella_versace

Last week, we all confessed our perfume sins in the quarterly Now Smell This Damage Poll. I don’t know about y’all, but I’ve been feeling the need for some moral high ground ever since. So I propose a Damage Poll spin-off: the Savings Poll! Now that we’ve done our perfume penance, let’s applaud ourselves for all the times that we desperately wanted to buy a perfume and then totally didn’t. Brag to us about your unshakeable restraint in the face of irresistible perfumes or prices! I’ll go first:

L’Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant ($140)

L’Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine ($140)

L’Artisan Parfumeur Poivre Piquant ($140)

The moment I saw my three favorite L’Artisans in the “last chance to buy” section of the L’Artisan website, I started saving up for backup bottles. I decided to hold off after noticing that L’Artisan mysteriously transferred them into a new category called “Les Exclusifs” a few weeks later. My perfume paranoia will probably win out eventually, but for now, I’ve saved a grand total of $420! That’s 1.15 Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses! 2.04 Serge Lutens bell jars! 42 Tupac bobble heads!

Your turn! Tupac bobble heads are $9.99, just in case you need the conversion rate.

Just kidding, y'all. We all know that Tupac bobble heads are PRICELESS.

Just kidding, y’all. We all know that Tupac bobble heads are PRICELESS.

20 Responses to “The Savings Poll”

1. fleurdelys

Since the layoff I’ve completely cracked down on perfume purchases. So $0 spent since the beginning of the year! Honestly, I’ve got enough perfume to last me the next 50 years anyway.

fleurdelys, I admire your responsible spending and hope that you will be able to be a little less responsible soon!

2. salmack1

I consider that I’ve been a positive saint this year. I have branched off from the vintage rabbit hole and hopped down the path of Uncle Serge. One bottle (1!) only – Santal de Mysore – has made its way into my grubby little paw. I wanted 3 more when I purchase it at the veritable Perfume House (of Doom) in Portland – Gris Clair, Chergui and Fille en A. I resisted spending over $400 more and even made do with a sample of Jasmin et Cig when I wanted a whole bottle of that too. Of course, its only April ….

I’m in awe, salmack1! Few can resist Serge’s siren call. Etat Libre d’Oranges are very easy to cave on, too, since they’re (knock on wood) still so reasonably priced.

3. Suzy Q

I love this whole idea! How creative of you, Ari, and how virtuous too!
    All those customer loyalty discounts are extremely tempting. Still, I’ve managed not to cave in. I’m focused, not distracted. I’m going to buy Chanel No 5 extrait this spring. This summer I’ll run out of my summer staple, Nuit de Tubereuse, so saving for that. Next fall, maybe it’ll be Bois des Isles. Whenever I’m feeling weak, I think about these lovelies! It really helps.

I was awful. Couldn’t resist anything. I even caved and bought a bottle of freakin Fame (!) just because it was less than $10. The only thing that I like is the color of it so far. I am proud of my bottle of EL Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia for $20 though. I’ve got another Parfum1 discount but so far I’m avoiding it’s siren call. I’m going to try to be better this quarter. I’m thinking of setting up a reward program for myself. For every weight loss goal I hit maybe I’ll treat myself to something or I’ll keep track of how many times I get to the gym. On the bright side we are almost 8 days into the quarter and I haven’t bought anything yet. :)

Congratulations on your eight-day streak, Poodle! Sorry not sorry for my enabling. I bet the Fame bottle makes a nice, dramatic-looking paper weight!

• poodle

Oh that’s right, you did cause me to spend money didn’t you? It’s okay though because I like that one a lot. :)

• Jennifer Counts

l I did the same thing with Fame! Mine was $12 at Ross. I’ve worn it maybe once. The first time I sprayed it, my first thought was, “What have I done?” Actually after the opening fades I don’t hate it.

The Tuberose Gardenia is a nice find, though! I’ve come across it at TJ Maxx or Marshall’s (I don’t remember which), and it was quite a bit more so I didn’t get it.

• poodle

I’ll have to give it another try. It came with the lotion too which is also black.

5. Katherine

I bought a tiny bottle of Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights for $10.00 (thanks to Portia), which I love and it came with a tiny bottle of Fancy Love which (on my skin) smells like hedonist. I feel like I saved myself from having to buy a bottle of Hedonist. Thank you Jessica Simpson. I really do want that Tupac bobble head!

You know, I haven’t tried a single one of the Jessica Simpson scents! Everyone says that Fancy is quite nice.

6. Jennifer Smith

Fancy= Pink Sugar ( slight differences ), Fancy Love = Burberry Woman, Fancy Nights = Prada Amber /Costume National Scent, I Fancy You = apple top noted shampoo .All are nice but Love and Nights are my favorites of hers .Vintage Bloom was citrusy sweet if I recall ,I haven’t tried the latest one out in the Fancy line though.

I didn’t buy that bottle of SoOud Ouris at 40% off at Bendel’s. $111 saved! Then you told me yesterday that they are now 60% off. If it’s still there, I may be too weak to resist. In that case, $37 saved.